Dear Plainfield Board of Education,
Under OPRA and the common law right of access, please provide documents, lists, reports or statements sufficient to show:
1) the name, title, department/division, current salary, and hire date for all salaried employees, including elected officials, as of July 1, 2019
2) the name, title, department/division, current hourly rate, and hire date for all hourly employees, as of July 1, 2019
3) the names of all employees enrolled in each healthcare insurance program/plan, including elected officials, as of July 1, 2019
4) the names of all employees currently enrolled in each public pension system, including elected officials, as of July 1, 2019
5) the name and pay status of each employee currently suspended from duty, as of July 1, 2019
6) the total year-to-date base pay, overtime pay, and extra-duty pay for each employee, including elected officials, as of July 1, 2019
7) the amount/value of all stipends, allowances, bonuses, reimbursements and other payments or perks granted each employee, including elected officials, as of July 1, 2019
With regard to items #1-4 of this request, please only include records pertaining to current employees, and please do not include any employees whose term of employment ended prior to July 1, 2019. If employees have different rates of pay for different work or different roles, please indicate each of the pay rates in the response.
With regard to all of the items in this request, I prefer to receive the responses to this request in one or more Microsoft Excel spreadsheets if at all possible. Please feel free to contact me if I can be helpful in clarifying this request. Thanks very much and have a nice day.
Editor, New Brunswick Today
I will be out of the office until Friday, May 10th. Please contact Yolanda Koon at 908-731-4338 if you need immediate assistance.
Please confirm you have received this request.
We are finalizing the information that you requested and it should be available shortly.
With regard to your OPRA request #3, please see below.
In Palkowitz v. Hasbrouck Heights (Bergen), GRC Complaint No. 2013-199 (Interim Order dated February 25, 2014), the complainant requested individual healthcare benefits. There, the Council determined that same were exempt from disclosure. N.J.A.C. 17:9-1.2; Schilling v. Twp. Of Little Egg Harbor (Ocean), GRC Complaint No. 2011-293 (Interim Order dated March 22, 2013). Ultimately, the Council required disclosure of the total amount of money spent to provide its employees with healthcare benefits over a defined period of time. However, the portion of the request seeking individual healthcare information was denied. Accordingly, this portion of your request is hereby denied.
With regard to your OPRA request #5, please see below.
Please be advised that the Board is prohibited from disclosing names of employees suspended with and without pay pursuant to N.J.S.A. 47:1A-1.1 et seq. OPRA mandates that, “the personnel or pension records of any individual in the possession of a public agency, including but not limited to records relating to any grievance filed by or against an individual shall not be considered a government record and shall not be made available for public access[.]” The GRC has consistently held that records involving employee discipline or investigations into employee misconduct are properly classified as personnel records within the exemption from disclosure set forth at N.J.S.A. 47:1A-10.
Further, in Vaughn v. City of Trenton (Mercer), GRC Complaint No. 2009-177 (June 2010), the GRC held that, “[a]lthough the Custodian violated OPRA at N.J.S.A. 47:1A-5.g by failing to provide a response to the Complainant’s request for the disciplinary history for Trenton Police Department Detective, Robert Sheehan (retired), said record is exempt from disclosure as a personnel record pursuant to N.J.S.A. 47:1A-10 and Merinov. Borough of Ho-Ho-Kus, GRC Complaint No. 2003-110.
Note that your OPRA request #7 is invalid.
Lastly, other information that you requested will be forwarded later today.